The Abbey is be a worshiping community located in the Fernwood / Oaklands / Fairfiled neighbourhood of Victoria. As the name “The Abbey” suggests, we hope to be a place of prayer and sanctuary for all.
see www.abbeychurch.ca for more information!
* Time: the Abbey hosts a regular (weekly) Sunday afternoon 4pm gathering 1923 Fernwood Rd.. The last Sunday of the month is usually supper church, held at our community huose
* Format: We will share bread and wine together at Jesus’ table each week (Eucharist/Communion)
At the Abbey we will strive to:
* drink from the many ‘streams of living water’ of the Christian faith
* be musically eclectic (Palestrina, Rend Collective, Taize chant, traditional hymnody, bluegrass / roots & Leonard Cohen are all welcome)
* be a place that welcomes questions and messiness
* be rooted in living tradition as well as breathe new life into ancient ways of worshiping (an ‘ancient-future’ faith)
* encourage artistic input – welcoming the gifts of artists
* seek to send us out to be signs, servants and symbols of God’s reign
* be (truly and deeply!) welcoming to and affirming the gifts of all; regardless of age, culture/ethnicity, economic strata, sexuality or gender
* draw on the many gifts of leadership in music, preaching/teaching & liturgy in the community
* be consciously welcoming to people on the margins of church, culture and society
* above all, be Christ-centred (focused on Jesus – and the Triune God).
In many ‘church plants’ there are big budgets to pay staff (who are often imported from other places). We are working on a grassroots, ‘small is beautiful’ model – focusing on the gifts of people – and planting right in the neighbourhood where we live. In this sense we hope to be an organic, sustainable, rooted presence for the long-term and not dependent on large outside donations for staffing or building budgets.
The Abbey is a part of the new monastic “Emmaus Community” which seeks to engage a way to live our faith 24/7 and be sent together into our neighbourhood and beyond. As a community we pray together most weekdays and seek to live lives of hospitality with and to those on the margins. As a community we have a commitment to prayer, presence and simplicity.
Drop Rev. Rob or Rev. Meagan a line at firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll tell you more.